Barring any last minutes’ change of plans, no fewer than 8 senior professors are being considered to act as vice-chancellor at the University of Ibadan.
The senate would today pick one of them to act as VC for 6 months.
This became pertinent due to the inability of the authorities to midwife a transparent transition process.
This newspaper had exclusively reported how outgoing VC, Prof. Idowu Olayinka, whose 5-year tenure ends today, has alleged of favouring his deputy, Prof. Kayode Adebowale, for the plum job.
Last week, the National Universities Commission, NUC waded in, directing the governing council to appoint an acting VC to run the institution for 6 months while another process is restarted to produce a substantial VC.
The institution would be looking forward to a neutral candidate as acting VC; a calm person who would not be seen to have a hand in who eventually becomes the VC of Nigeria’s first university.
1. Ambrose Ayelari was former deputy vice-chancellor, DVC (administration) and served as VC for about 3 months in 2015
2. Niyi Gbadegesin is the immediate past VC of the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, LAUTECH.
3. Gbemisola Oke, a professor of dentistry, was also one time DVC (academic).
4. Ayo Oluleye is a former dean of technology and a professor of industrial engineering.
5. Kassey Garba is a former economic adviser to former President Goodluck Jonathan.
6. Kunle Fagbemi
7. Adigun Agbaje
8. Francis Egbokhare